Wednesday, August 19, 2015

It Girl Nail Art Stamping Plates Review

Press  Sample

Hey there!  Today I have a review of the inaugural plates from a new stamping plate brand, It Girl Nail Art.  It Girl Nail Art is an indie company located in Tacoma, Washington that is the brain child of a member of our stamping community.  As a member the community, she knows what us stampers are looking for in our plates and she did definitely succeeded in coming up with a great product with the launch of her brand.  She has started with 3 individual plates, IG101-103, and was kind enough to send them to me to review.  I started testing them out by doing one mani with each plate that I'm posting today.  Keep reading for my thoughts and all the details.  ..



Each It Girl plate measures 12 x 6 cm with each image measuring 2.5 x 2.5 cm.  The first thing I noticed about these plates when I received them is that the are made of a different metal than the other plates I have.  They more matte and less shiny than other plates but their performance is equal to any brand I've tried.  They're deeply etched (but not too deep) and all stamp well.  A couple of the more fine images were a bit difficult to clean with the cotton pads that I use.  To remedy that I just ran my finger over the cleaned image to pick up the extra fibres but if you use lint-free wipes, you probably wouldn't even notice.  It Girl recommends using pure acetone if you're using regular nail polish for stamping or acetone-free if you're using a stamping-specific polish like Mundo de Unas or Handy polish.  That being said, I was a rebel (in other words, I was too lazy to find my acetone-free remover) and used Mundo and pure acetone and had no problems with cleaning.

IG101 is filled with geometric-type patterns.  I've noticed a real increase in the popularity of geometric nail art so this plate will definitely fill that niche.


To try out this plate I used the stained glass pattern (top row) over a sponged mani.  I randomly sponged KBShimmer Rum Me The Right Way, For Sail By Owner and In Yacht Water over Eyes White Open and then did the stamping with Mundo de Unas Neon Blue (#30) and topped with HK Girl.  I did have a tiny issue picking up one corner of the image onto my stamper but the image is wide enough that I just avoided transferring that corner.



IG102 is also what I would think of as a geometric-focused plate.  I love that she included a chevron pattern and its reverse image side by side on this plate.  


For this mani I used Deborah Lippmann Xanadu over a black base and stamped with images that I just mentioned with Mundo de Unas White and finished with HK Girl.  I really do love the reversed images.  I think they always make for great accent nails while still keeping the look tied together.  



IG103 has fewer geometric patterns than the first two plates.  This plate is a bit more swirly and girly.  These are images I definitely gravitate towards.  


For this mani I was more than a little inspired by my fellow Polished Bookworm, @cucug83's Along Came A Spider mani.  I adored the color combo she came up with for this mani and thought it would look great with this swirly image (top row).  I used Orly On The Edge and Saturated and Island Girl Aloha Sunset for the gradient and stamped with Essie No Place Like Chrome, finished with HK Girl.



Overall, I have a great first impression of It Girl Nail Art and would definitely recommend them, especially if you're into geometric patterns.  Also this is a brand who appears to listen to their customers.  She has created a Google Doc for anyone who has image suggestions.  If there's an image you're dying to see on a stamping plate but can't commit to a custom plate, be sure to fill out the form.  

Price: $13.50/plate

Thanks for stopping by!

'Til next time...


No comments: