Thursday, January 21, 2016

More New & Improved Nails - Quilted Nails and Foiled Stamping

Hey there!  Today I have my final leftover Digit-al Dozen manis.  Here are two more "New & Improved" looks that I did for last week's theme.  These definitely weren't my favourite as neither of them really worked out and they both took two or three tries to even get them to work this well.  Needless to say, I haven't mastered either of these techniques quite yet!



Okay, for the first ones, I wanted to try quilted nails.  I've gone out and bought the little individual flossers before, tried the technique and then promptly gave up and gave the flossers to my friend.  This time I was determined so I bought them again, tried twice and once again gave up.  Me and this technique just aren't buddies.  So I tried faking it with striping tape.  I used two coats of Cult Nails Morning Glory (a waxy finish polish), top coated it to make it shiny and then used striping tape and another coat of Morning Glory (this coat I left with it's waxy finish).  I added black holo glitters at the intersections to try to make it better but, alas, I still didn't like it.  



For the second look, I desperately wanted to do some foil stamping.  I've also tried this before, and again, failed.  Alesha from PhD Nails seems to have this mastered so you should definitely check out some of her posts, like this one.  I used either two coats of OPI Black Onyx or My Boyfriend Scales Walls with stamping images from Fab Ur Nails FUN 13.  For the black nails, I stamped with Testers Black Enamel Paint (I remember reading somewhere that that was supposed to work) and then immediately pressed the foil on.  The pinky worked okay but the pointer is a mess (after numerous tries).  


On the middle and ring fingers I made decals on the UberMat by stamping with Mundo de Unas Black, filling in the flowers with foil glue and pressing the foil on and then stamping again, this time using my Clear Jelly Stamper so I could match up the patterns.  I think these ones could've looked okay if I knew of a top coat that didn't mess up foils.  As is, I left them without top coat and they look pretty rough.


Well that's it for my leftovers.  Tomorrow I'll have this week's instalment of 40 Great Nail Art Ideas which, I'm hoping, looks better than these, haha!

'Til next time...


No comments: