Monday, January 11, 2016

The Digit-al Dozen does New & Improved - Day 1 Fishtail Braid Nails

Hey there!  The Digit-al Dozen is starting 2016 with a fun theme of New & Improved so we'll be doing new things or improving on old manis.  Personally, I've gone with all new techniques - a lot of which I avoided in last year's 52 Week Pick 'n Mix Challenge.  I would just pick to not to do the technique prompts!  For example, today I have a fishtail braid mani...a brand new technique to me. Also, to go with the theme of new, The Digit-al Dozen has a few new girls to welcome to the group and I'm seriously fangirling here because I LOVE these bloggers - Cathy of More Nail Polish, Cheyenne of CDB Nails, Marisa of Polish Those Nails, Michaela of The Mani Cafe and RoseLynn of Manicured and Marvelous.  I hope you like them as much as we do!



I finally tackled the fishbraid mani thanks to a tutorial from another DD girl, Jacki of Adventures in Acetone.  She chose to use the UberMat for her 40 Great Nail Art Ideas fishbraid...absolutely genius!  So I tried it and found it's a much easier alternative than trying to paint relatively straight lines right onto your nails.  Thank you Jacki!  


For this mani I used Color Club Crystal Baller, Essie Fiji and Rica Blackout to make the fishbraid decals on the UberMat.  After they were applied, I added HK Girl top coat and was good to go.  



As with many of this week's designs, they took a couple of tries to make presentable.  I guess that's what happens when you try new techniques.  Here's the previous attempt of a fishtail mani...mental note: grey and silver photograph way too similar! 


That's all for Day 1.  Please please please check out the rest of the Digit-al Dozens posts to see their new and improved designs and to give our new members a big welcome!  

'Til next time...





No comments: