Monday, March 11, 2019

The Digit-al Dozen does Books - The Secret Life of Bees

Hey there!  It's time for a new Digit-al Dozen week!  Normally I'm so incredibly pumped but this week was HARD!  For March, we're doing a book theme.  I'm someone who loves reading but who has always found translating the books I love onto my nails to be a tough task.  But I did my best for this week.  Secretly, I modelled most of my manis after books that just happened to fit some plates I recently bought and wanted to use so they're not necessarily my favorite books but they are all books I've read.  I actually bought one of the plates just because I knew this week was coming up.  A lot of the plates I buy go unused because I tend to have a lot of plates to review but I'm happy to say that all the plates from my last Clear Jelly Stamper order have officially been used...woohoo!  I'm starting off this week with The Secret Life of Bees, a book from 2001 by Sue Monk Kidd.  I'm not going to lie.  I didn't really remember what this book was about so I started re-reading it when I did this mani.  I'm about halfway through re-reading it.  I hope it really is about "bee-ing kind"!



This entire mani was done with Hit The Bottle polishes, starting with a base of Smurf Blood.  I love when I can have a whole mani with one brand (then I don't have to worry about what bottle to pose with, haha!)



The plate I used was clearly a bee plate, Clear Jelly Stamper CJS-68 (Save The Bees!).  I loved that it had realistic looking bees on it instead of just cartoon bees so I had to have it.  I'm all for all the good bees do us and I get mildly fascinated with them.  At the lake last year, I watched bee's mate for a solid 20 minutes.  I was trying to figure out if what I assumed to be the male bee was trying to mate with a dead female since she didn't move AT ALL.  But eventually she started walking.  It felt very voyeuristic but the biologist in me couldn't look away.  


For the stamping I used Lemon Meringue Fizz, Burnt Orange, The Yolk Is On You, To Have And To Gold, Taupe-lessly Devoted, Moonshine and As Black As Night and topped with Vibrant Vinyls top coat.  I bumped my ring finger before it was dry and it got a tad messed up.  But it still looked like a bee from afar so I was happy.  


Since I don't actually remember how this book ends, I hope it has aged well in the almost 20 years since I first read it.  Otherwise I'll be super embarrassed looking back at the fact that I did my nails for it!  Now check out the rest of the ladies' first book designs in the links below.  I'm personally very curious as to what they pick for this week!  

'Til next time...

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

No comments: