Wednesday, April 17, 2019

The Digit-al Dozen does Albums - Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Hey there!  I'm back today with my third Digit-al Dozen Albums mani.  For today's mani I certainly took my liberties with my interpretation of the album cover.  Smashing Pumpkins are probably my all-time favourite band.  They were the first "alternative" music I listened to back in high school.  Previous to this, it was all about pop and dance music.  My friend had recorded Siamese Dream onto a cassette (yes, a cassette because it was approximately 1993) and I fell in love.  Then a couple years later they released Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness and I played it constantly!  I even had the ZERO shirt that Billy Corgan wore for this tour (that I picked up at the concert).  So when I saw Emily de Molly's May Polish Pickup polish, A Piece Of You, was inspired by this album, I had to have it.  So while my nail art might not be anywhere near the album cover, the polish certainly is.



Here's a look at the actual album cover.  I did attempt to practice paint something like that renaissance-looking girl but that idea was quickly dismissed.  



But these gold stickers (from January's Maniology Mani x Me box) had instantly made me think of this album cover, so I went with them instead.  I used two coats of A Piece of You as the base and then used the stickers.  


But I didn't think putting some stickers on a polish were quite up to my Digit-al Dozen standard so I added some freehand accents (including painting instead the stickers' slightly raised edges) with acrylic paint.  I wanted to at least match the some of the background images from the album cover.  


To finish I added a coat of OPI matte top coat.  At first I tried it shiny but it just felt like it should be matte to me.  I hope you agree!  


Picking just one song off of this double album was a tough task but I don't want to bombard you with song links again like I did yesterday.  So my pick for this album is By Starlight.  I love how it starts all quiet and then builds.  

Check out everyone else's mid-week Albums manis in the links below.  It's been great seeing the albums that have inspired the group!  
'Til next time...


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

No comments: